Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Indescribable Gift

What do you think of when you think of an indescribable gift or just a gift in general? Society has influenced our thinking of gifts in a material sense rather than a spiritual sense. It may even be safe to say that when we think of a gift, we think of receiving one as opposed to giving one, and going a bit farther, we may even think the more it costs the better it is.

When I think of an indescribable gift, I think of grandeur, something off the charts, something wished for yet not really expected. I have come to understand I (we) have already been given the greatest gift we could possible hope for and as I try to wrap my head around it I am in complete awe.

Consider the following verses on 2 Corinthians 9:15 and notice all of the adjectives used to describe the our indescribable gift.


Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift! NIV
Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift. KJV
Thank God for this gift too wonderful for words! New Living Translation).
Thanks be to God for his inexpressible gift! ESV
Thanks be to God for His unspeakably precious gift! Weymouth
Thank God for this gift, his gift. No language can praise it enough! (from THE MESSAGE)
Praise be to God for what he has given, which words have no power to say. BBE

I am humbled when I ponder indescribable and when I realize I have been given this indescribable gift- Jesus Christ. I am unworthy to receive the gift, unworthy in the sense that I owe God everything and he owes me nothing.

Indescribable-amazing grace!

No comments: